Last year, the list of things that make me thankful was scribbled on the cover page of a physics problem set along with my drawing of a turkey. This year, my list is even simpler.
I’m thankful for:
1. My family by blood. They might be 50 shades of crazy, but they raised me to be focus more on what I have and how much love is in my life.
2. Adam. My friend and partner holds me tight and keeps me (as) sane (as possible). He has phenomenal taste in people who have welcomed me with open arms.
3. My family by choice. I have a community of friends who’ve supported me through heartbreak and anger and celebrations. Their strength and love has been a true inspiration for healing and growth.
4. Social media. I’ve met many amazing people through Twitter, and Facebook allows me to keep connected to friends and family all over the world.
5. Beer. Birmingham’s craft beer scene has grown exponentially as I’ve watched, thanks in part to the work of Free The Hops. I have gotten to know many wonderful individuals in real life over beers in the city.
6. Bonfires. I’m pretty sure lighting fires within city limits is illegal, mmkay? Because it’s illegal, none of my friends would ever do that. Ever. Now that’s out of the way, some of my favorite memories are from my friends’ backyard snuggled into winter coats around a bonfire with a bowl of stew.
7. Photos. They add beauty and can remind you of people and places that would not be present in your life otherwise.
8. My tiny apartment. It’s not large, glamorous or tidy, but it’s weatherproof and feels like home.
9. Tutoring. I love this job, and getting the chance to relearn entire subjects is so much fun. Work-wise, only writing comes close to the satisfaction of watching my kids’ moments of discovery and comprehension.